Want to make a fresh design to welcome friends and family to your home? This Home Sweet Home reverse canvas was my first attempt at making a reverse canvas. Now I get the hype! They are so easy to make and look awesome. Grab your free Home Sweet Home cut file at the end of the post!
The possibilities are endless on what to do with them. You can leave the wood as is, stain it, or paint it. You could swap out the canvas for another fabric (like burlap), paint it with a stencil, apply HTV (which is what I did above), etc. I mixed it up a bit and made the house outline gold to match my living room decor. I actually like the second attempt with black better.
Materials to Make Free Home Sweet Home Reverse Canvas
- Blank canvas (This particular Home Sweet Home design works better on a square, like a 10 x 10.)
- Box cutter
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Iron or heat press
- Paint or wood stain and paint brush
- Cutting machine (like Silhouette Cameo) or printer (for PDF)
How to Make a Reverse Canvas
There are so many tutorials out there on making a reverse canvas. I am going to be uploading a video tutorial soon, but for now here are the basic directions:
- Turn the canvas over and cut OUTSIDE of the staples using a box cutter. Don’t worry about the edges getting frayed or cutting uneven, as you’re going to cut it down to fit the frame again in the end.
- Remove the canvas and place aside.
- Turn the frame back over and stain or paint it. I did one coat of wood stain.
- Set the frame aside to dry.
- Cut the Home Sweet Home design on heat transfer vinyl. Don’t forget to reverse the text!
- Weed and place the design on the canvas you cut from the frame.
- Use the iron or heat press to transfer the image.
- Center the image back in the frame and use your hot glue gun to glue it back into place. Make sure you apply pressure for 15 seconds or so for the glue to get a good hold.
- Cut the excess canvas from the frame so it doesn’t show. It doesn’t have to be a perfect cut, no one is going to be looking at the back!
TIP: If you have a decent sized strip of canvas cut, save it to use in other projects or to make canvas tape with!
Free Home Sweet Home Cut File
How did your reverse canvas tutorial turn out? I’d love to see your finished project! Don’t forget to check out my other Silhouette projects!
Pin it for later!